Thursday 9 February 2017

Time to retire the retirement blog

When I started this blog back in July of last year, I never imagined that just 7 months later I would be winding it up. After all this blog was going to be my companion on my exciting retirement journey.  So what's happened?  The short answer is that writing a blog on retirement related issues no longer seems relevant. Since finishing full time work I have accrued a number of jobs both paid and voluntary which mean I no longer feel "retired."  The word, the concept now longer have meaning.  I just work differently and with a pension coming in I simply have a bit more freedom to pick and choose what and when I work.

Whilst I enjoyed writing the blog in the early stages, latterly it has felt like a struggle coming up with posts to fit an overarching theme that no longer applied.  I also realised I do not want to be defined by the term "retirement" or indeed read about retirement.  I want to read about people with something interesting to say regardless of their age or whether they are retired or not.  Similarly I want to write about a whole range of subjects but realised that I had created this straitjacket (the "retirement blog") which would preclude potential readers or put them off.  So, whilst I acknowledge there are some great retirement blogs out there with posts of great interest to many people, I personally do not want to be limited by and defined by something that does not really apply to me anyway.

There it is. The retirement blog is taking early retirement. I've learnt a lot and really appreciate the comments and feedback of those who have read my posts.  I shall leave the blog out there for a while and after taking a little time to consider my next project will come back with a new blog.  I have a few ideas but want to consider this next move rather than rushing into it. 

The shackles of retirement blogging are off and a new challenge awaits.

Thanks for reading.

John 

22 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you John. As an accomplished writer, you know only too well that our very best work is done when we are inspired and passionate. When that happens, the words will just flow.

    When you decide on a new blog, be sure to post one last time on this blog, with a link to your new blog. That way all of your followers will be able to find you.

    Have fun, and best wishes as you explore what is next that will inspire and bring joy to your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, and I will post on this one once I get started on a new one. So hopefully not so much goodbye, more au revoir

      Delete
  2. Maybe it's better not to have a specific theme. You are a good writer so it would be a shame to give up altogether. Do let us know if and when you branch out with a new blog. I have had several in my time, all with themes, and that's why I went for a blog that covers all sorts of topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie. I will definitely start a new blog and I will post a link on here once I get started. Just need the right inspiration!

      Delete
  3. I came late to your blog but have found it interesting and thought provoking. Your perspectives on life, work and other topics are well written and insightful. When I read a blog that has "retirement" as part of the title or goals I don't expect it to always be the same as this phase like others are usually about growth. Just write about what you find interesting and I'm sure others like me will find it interesting as well. I would miss your blog and hope you will reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks your words mean a lot. I will continue to write but, for me, the retirement theme has become less meaningful. It is a new phase, I agree, and I will post on here once I decide what my new focus will be. Thanks again for your support.

      Delete
  4. I also have struggled a bit with my blog name, RetirementallyChallenged. At first I thought I'd be writing about the "challenges" of adjusting to my retired life, but that soon got boring, at least to me. Now I write about anything I want, but I try - although I'm not always successful - to link it to retirement in some way.

    I do hope that you'll come back to the blogosphere one of these days; I really enjoy your writing. Maybe with a new name and/or a new focus, but with your same honesty and sense of humor. Like Carole (above) said: if you do come back, make sure you write a first post on your old blog so we all know how to link to your new one. Until then, you will be missed. But, most of all, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis you have been great and very supportive. In fact your words make me feel quite emotional which is a bit odd. I will be back and I will post a link on here. Bloggers such as you are what makes this feel so real and constructive. I just need a new approach. Watch this space!

      Delete
    2. I will be waiting and watching. :)

      Delete
  5. I totally get it. I shut down my last blog after 6 years and just started this one up from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out with the old and in with the new. I agree a fresh start is sometimes what is required.

      Delete
  6. John, you are a great writer, and I have really enjoyed reading your perspectives. I do hope that you don't give up on blogging altogether, and that when you start your new blog I will be able to find it.

    I do understand about the desire to change one's focus. I originally started my blog as a place to practice the technical skills involved in blogging (because I was about to co-teach a course on educational media). At various times, my blog has been about writing, art, worklife, and retirement. But mostly it has been a place for me to write about whatever topics are currently on my mind. Possibly having such an open-ended focus is not the best way to build readership, but that was never my main purpose anyways.

    Best wishes with all of your future endeavours, and I hope I will still hear from you from time to time.

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude , many thanks for your kind words and support over past few months. Bloggers such as yourself inspire and provide much of the motivation to carry on blogging. I will start a new blog but want to ensure that this time it will have an overarching theme that will liberate rather than constrain. I will definitely keep in touch.

      Delete
  7. Interesting blog. Glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it. I'm missing it already. 😒

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can check this one https://retirementtricks.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tempting. I am missing itπŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could focus on the "not retiring" part, which is pretty open-ended.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for being persistent and reminding me that I need to do something and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello guys please check this blog only for seniors : https://retirementtricks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and I will aim to respond within a couple of days. Thanks.